In response to the Independent Review of the Regional Development Australia program, Senator the Hon Fiona Nash, Minister for Regional Development has announced that funding for the national Regional Development Australia (RDA) network will be extended through to the end of 2020 under a new charter.
RDA Committees have an active and facilitative role in their communities and a clear focus on growing strong and confident regional economies that harness their competitive advantages, seize on economic opportunity and attract investment.
Working in close partnership with fellow RDA Committees, all levels of government, and the private sector, RDA Committees will:
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to identify economic opportunities and leverage private and public sector investment to the regions;
- Connect regional businesses, councils and industry sectors with international trade partners, financial markets and potential investors;
- Promote and disseminate information on Australian Government policies and grant programs to state and local governments and industry, business and community sectors;
- Support community stakeholders to develop project proposals to access funding;
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with the local government bodies in their regions;
- Facilitate public and private sector decentralisation;
- Assist in the delivery of Australian Government programs, where relevant and where requested by the Minister;
- Engage with regional entrepreneurs and emerging business leaders to explore new opportunities to grow local jobs in their regions;
- Provide information on their region’s activities and competitive advantages to all levels of government, industry, business and community sectors; and
- Provide evidence-based advice to the Australian Government on critical regional development issues positively and negatively affecting their regions.
For further detail on the RDA national review visit: https://rda.gov.au/