Operating a small business is about more than just being your own boss – it’s also about having the management skills, industry knowledge and long-term vision to grow and succeed.
If you’re thinking of joining the one million people in Australia who run a business from home, check out these tips to help you get started.
1. Download our Starting a business checklist
Our handy checklist contains a series of questions to guide you through the various stages of your business, including:
- before you start a business
- when you start a business
- when you buy a business
- when you run your business.
Download the Starting your business checklist now!
2. Develop a detailed business plan
Thinking through your business idea carefully and taking the time to research and plan your operations can help you to:
- clearly understand what you want to achieve with your business
- work out and prioritise your main tasks
- prepare for any obstacles down the track.
Not sure how to write a plan? Check out our Business plan guides and templates for a head start.
3. Seek government and professional advice
If you’re just starting out, it’s a great idea to get some expert advice and support. Talking to experienced business advisers, accountants, bank managers, or government advisory services can all be good ways to find business guidance.
Use our Advisory Services search tool now to get in touch with a low-cost government-funded business advisory service near you.
This abbreviated article courtesy of the Australian Government.